Sunday, June 26, 2011

Goin to the chapel...via iphone.


Sometimes when I'm using the newest technological advances, I feel like I'm in a commercial. Like those iPad commercials where they're like, "To a mom, it's an organizer. To a 10 year-old, it's magic!" because it reads to them or teaches them how to tie their shoelaces or something.

One such magic moment happened last night when I "face-timed" with all my buddies in the hotel after Angela's wedding. I'm kind of happy Andrew lost his original phone, because now that he has the iPhone, he teaches me all the cool stuff you can do with it. Hence the 1 am face-time, which is essentially video chatting.

Throughout the day, I had been seeing random photos from the wedding uploaded onto Facebook and with each one, experiencing little pangs of sadness because I couldn't be there. But everyone looked so GOOD and happy that it was hard to be actually sad. I mean, look at Angela's bangin footwear:


After a few failed attempts at face time (where I just saw my own face looking back at me like a shiny potato or McDonald's chicken nugget) we finally connected. Andrew took me around the room to say hi to everyone, which sounded basically like: "KTTTTTTTT!!!"

"YOU GUYSSSS" I said. Then midway through a laugh Andrew goes "WAIT, WAIT" and turns the phone around, and I'm looking at Angela in her wedding dress in the doorway, looking beautiful and glowingly happy.

We just kind of stared at each other for 3 seconds before we both had a hand up to our mouths, crying. It was just really unexpected for both of us, I think. (And not to taint the purity of the moment, but see what I was saying about Apple commercials? Can you really tell me that wouldn't make an amazing, albeit pandering one?)

There's been this wavering ambivalence that I've been experiencing in regards to times like this--where I see my friends doing things I'd love to be part of, longing to be there, but also just really excited for them. I think the excitement factor is even higher than before, because this whole thing has really begun to seem manageable and truly what Mrs. Rapp calls "just a bump in the road." The recovery from my third treatment--I'm almost wary to say--was not nearly as bad as the first two. I think a lot of that has to be chalked up to drinking a ton of water and eating more fruits and veggies, (shocking!) but also to the fact that I'm done with 3/8 treatments. After the next one, I'll be half done. How....did that happen?

Actually, wait, don't tell me, I'd rather not know.



No comments:

Post a Comment