Thursday, July 7, 2011

Coming to you live from the chemo room!

Thought I'd try a little something new and write a post with a needle in my chest!

Cody and I are going on hour three of residency here, and emotions are running rampant here in the infusion room. Or maybe I'm confusing my eyes tearing because I'm tired with actual tears. But I am sitting next to one of the nurses who did one of my pre surgical interviews way back when. She has breast cancer and today is her last treatment! I'm so happy for her. Oh, also today is my halfway point, holler back now.

We were talking about how we were diagnosed when the woman sitting next to her chimed in. She has had cancer in her left breast, right, then left again, then liver, had her liver REMOVED and got cancer again in the part that was growing back. (I think I have that straight, but I also don't entirely think livers grow back so I may have misheard her.) And what's more hard to believe than all that is how bright her outlook is. Talk about resilient. She makes me feel like my treatment is to float through a meadow on the wings of a sparkly butterfly.

Cody is reading this book about the founders of the most successful Internet startups (gmail, craigslist, our faithful old blogger.com) and it's super interesting. I read a bit yesterday about Steve Wozniak, who started Apple with Steve Jobs, and he was talking about how he was building computers in 1973. I think he would be happy to know that 40 years later, a normal 24 year old lady was using her pointer fingers to tap out some feelings on a computer the size and width of a magazine, but that's just a guess.

Ugh, I have to use the facilities (you would to if you had four bags of liquid pumped into you) but every time I have to go, I have to unplug the machine my medicine is hooked up to and walk it with me to the bathroom, which I dislike for two reasons: one, it beeps incessantly when it's unplugged, and two, it makes me feel like an old lady with an oxygen tank.

Woo just heard from my nurse that I just have to wait for the saline bag to finish and I'm done. Four down, four to go.

3 comments:

  1. Yea, livers grow back. you can actually be an organ donor and only give half and both halves grow to full size on only like 2 weeks. Unless you have cirrhosis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. didn't steve wozniak date Kathy griffin? or did I make that up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate, I had no idea! Thank you for that

    Hay, yes, she did. I didn't remember that until now, but it was pretty entertaining as far as reality television goes.

    ReplyDelete