Friday, August 19, 2011

Quiksilver Pro New York

Back in March, I was sitting in Gorilla Coffee in Park Slope (convinced they put crack in their coffee, but that's neither here nor there) when my friend Dan convinced me to scrap together what very little money I had to buy a ticket to Bonnaroo in Tennessee this past June. As it turned out, I spent the opening day of Bonnaroo receiving my second chemo treatment. Whattayaknow.

I sold my ticket and told myself I'd go next year, but something better just may be on (a closer) horizon--the Quiksilver Pro New York, a FREE national surf competition and music festival right on LI in September. It's a two-week national pro surf competition. I don't know much (read: anything) about pro surfers, besides that I am probably more attracted to them than non-surfing people. So there's that. But more important are the bands to be featured: Taking Back Sunday, Saves the Day, Matt and Kim, The Flaming Lips, Neon Indian, and more. You can check out the event guide here.

And not to sound like an alcoholic or anything, but girl is goin' to be getting her drink on for this. Throughout the past four months, I've had maybe four drinks due to the fact that chemo's really taxing on your liver and kidneys. Ironically, every time I get a chemo treatment, I experience what feels like an intensified 3-day hangover. But the weekend of September 9th, smack dab in the middle of the festival and long enough before I start radiation, I should be free and clear to enjoy a few beverages. And I seriously mean only a few, considering what will be my low tolerance and the fact that I'd like to make my debut into the world of drinking in as graceful a manner as possible. I should probably not wear heels.

1 comment:

  1. this is a surfing event. rainbow and roxy sandals only. also-- my dad has been talking about this for WEEKS. [at least since ive come home]

    ReplyDelete