Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Radiation Nation

I had my first two radiation seshs. Coming from my oncologist's office, where the nurses gave me one of those zumba coin waste tie thingies just because they thought I'd one day have fun wearing it (which is accurate), I was a little less enchanted with the people at the radiologist's. You know when you can tell people are being fake friendly because they're at work and they have to? And like polite in an aggressive way? Most of the techs seemed a little like that. They were just very brusque, which I guess I get--they have a lot of patients, and since the procedure is pretty quick, they kind of have an wham bam way of getting people in and out. Whuhevs.

I've been going to spin class the past couple days, and aside from it kicking my ass, it feels rull good to be building myself back up physically. Every time I want to go easy in class, I tell myself "Nope, you did chemo, you can turn the resistance up, LAZY." That and the instructor makes a pointed comment about "pushing through" if she sees someone turning the dial down, so it's less embarrassing to just deal with it. It's easier when the music is good, though you'd be surprised at how inspirational you'll find "In the End" by Linkin Park when it's the last song of class.

I also think my short hair makes me look tough when doing bicep curls. So there's that for motivation, too.

I've been going to my friend JW's every Wednesday night for dinner and a few episodes of the OC (which I had never seen--I am the only white 20-something person I know who hasn't), and I've decided to just keep dessert coming every week rather than taking a meal turn. I had to share this one: Caramel Apple Cheesecake. Ain't she a beaut?



No comments:

Post a Comment