Friday, November 4, 2011

Just some thoughts I had after a few beers

I've been thinking a lot lately about the concept of what it means to deserve something.

People have told me since I got sick that I didn't "deserve" to go through having cancer, and I accepted that like a compliment. But who deserves to do it? Who deserves anything?

I think a lot of people walk around thinking we humans have an innate right to be handled correctly by the universe, which is false. When it comes to fate or luck or whatever you want to call it, we deserve nothing. The pursuit of happiness is written into the basis of the laws that govern our lives, but we so often forget that it's the pursuit and not the actual happiness that is our right.

That being said, I do think we all deserve to be treated properly by one other. We have a responsibility to each other to do that, because how we handle each other's emotions is one of the few things we have under control. Maybe that's why I'm finding it so hard to understand how people trip over honesty like it's a root they didn't see jutting out into their paths.

It might sound like I'm trying to say we all deserve to be loved, but I don't mean to say that--I just mean we all deserve to be respected.

And that's all she wrote, folks.



No comments:

Post a Comment